‘We are on the streets’: Palestinians flee Israel’s assault on Gaza City

12 hours ago 4

Palestinian families are forced from their homes arsenic Israel intensifies its deadly attacks successful propulsion to prehend Gaza City.

Published On 30 Aug 2025

Hundreds of Palestinians person fled Gaza City, piling their fewer remaining possessions onto pick-up trucks and donkey carts arsenic Israel’s deadly bombings and forced displacement run intensifies successful the area.

People fleeing the Israeli military’s relentless bombardment person begun mounting up makeshift tents amid miserable conditions successful an country westbound of cardinal Gaza’s Nuseirat exile camp, to the southbound of Gaza City adjacent Deir el-Balah.

Most of them person been forced to permission their homes much than once.

“We are thrown successful the streets, similar what would I say? Like dogs? We are not similar dogs. Dogs are [treated] amended than us,” Mohammed Maarouf, 50, told The Associated Press quality agency, lasting successful beforehand of his tent.

Maarouf and his household of 9 had already been displaced from the bluish Gaza municipality of Beit Lahiya. “We person nary homes. We are connected the streets,” helium said.

Ahmad Saadeh, primitively from Beit Hanoon, besides successful Gaza’s north, told AP that Palestinians were suffering from hunger, sickness and a deficiency of structure successful the coastal enclave, wherever famine was confirmed earlier this month.

“We endure from galore things,” helium said. “We endure that our children are ill.”

Israeli forces person carried retired a sustained bombardment connected Gaza City since aboriginal August arsenic portion of a deepening propulsion to prehend the metropolis and displace astir 1 cardinal Palestinians surviving there.

On Friday, the Israeli subject said it had begun the “initial stages” of its offensive, declaring the largest municipality centre successful the territory a “combat zone”.

The caller cognition could forcibly displace 1 cardinal Palestinians to attraction zones successful confederate Gaza, the UN bureau for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) warned.

At slightest 71 Palestinians were killed successful Israeli attacks crossed Gaza connected Saturday, infirmary sources told Al Jazeera.

Of that, 41 radical were killed successful Gaza City alone, including astatine slightest 11 Palestinians who were killed portion queueing for breadstuff from ovens serving communities of displaced people.

At slightest 7 Palestinians besides were killed successful Israeli attacks connected a residential flat artifact successful Gaza City. Rescuers were digging done the rubble to effort to find immoderate survivors and retrieve bodies.

“The Israeli service has been intensifying its attacks crossed Gaza City. Homes and assemblage centres person been reduced to rubble, eroding the foundations of civilian beingness successful the area,” Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud reported connected Saturday.

“This is happening portion radical are going done famine, enforced starvation and dehydration. Things are starring to a catastrophic humanitarian crisis.”

The caput of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) connected Saturday besides questioned Israel’s plans for a forced wide expulsion.

“It is intolerable that a wide evacuation of Gaza City could ever beryllium done successful a mode that is harmless and dignified nether the existent conditions,” ICRC President Mirjana Spoljaric Egger said successful a statement, describing the program arsenic “not lone unfeasible but incomprehensible”.

Trucks and vehicles determination   on  the coastal roadworthy  adjacent   fishermen pulling their nets to retrieve their drawback  connected  a formation  successful  the Nuseirat campy  for Palestinian refugees successful  the cardinal  Gaza StripTrucks and vehicles determination on the coastal roadworthy successful the Nuseirat campy successful cardinal Gaza [Eyad Baba/AFP]

Yet portion Israel’s propulsion to prehend Gaza City has drawn planetary condemnation, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s authorities has shown nary signs of halting the subject offensive.

Gideon Levy, a columnist with Israeli quality outlet Haaretz, told Al Jazeera that Israel’s overarching program for Gaza amounts to taste cleansing.

“The program is to propulsion each the inhabitants of Gaza retired of their houses, past fastener them successful those attraction camps and past springiness them 2 choices, either to unrecorded successful those camps everlastingly oregon to permission the Gaza Strip,” Levy said.

Describing the Israeli government’s argumentation arsenic “outrageous”, Levy added that Israel volition lone halt its violative if US President Donald Trump decides that “enough is enough” and applies unit connected the country.

The US has provided Israel with billions of dollars successful subject assistance since its warfare connected Gaza began successful October 2023. Washington has besides shielded its apical state from calls for accountability astatine the UN and different planetary arenas.

In February, Trump suggested removing each Palestinians from Gaza – a program that would magnitude to taste cleansing, a transgression against humanity.

Source:

Al Jazeera and quality agencies

Read Entire Article